- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh sage, plus more for garnish
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken livers, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons dry white wine
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste dissolved in 1/2 cup warm water
- 1/4 cup chopped capers
- One 2-ounce can flat anchovy fillets, drained and minced
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Tabasco or crushed red pepper (optional)
- 8 thick slices of Tuscan bread, halved and toasted lightly
- Heat the oil in a large nonreactive skillet. When the oil is hot, add the onion, sage and garlic and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 4 minutes. Add the chicken livers and cook for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the wine and diluted tomato paste and simmer over high heat until the liquid has evaporated and the livers are thoroughly cooked, about 6 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the capers, anchovies and butter. Season with salt, pepper and Tabasco. Serve warm on the toasted bread, sprinkled with sage.
The liver can be refrigerated overnight. Bring to room temperature, then reheat gently.