- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons finely grated ginger
- Sea salt
- 2 cups plain low-fat yogurt
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Pinch of cinnamon
- 6 pounds chicken legs, cut into drumsticks and thighs
How to make this recipe
In a large bowl, using a wooden spoon, mash the garlic and ginger with 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt to a coarse paste. Stir in the yogurt and 2 tablespoons of the olive oil, then add the cumin, coriander, crushed red pepper, paprika, turmeric, pepper and cinnamon.
Remove the skin from the chicken thighs and using a sharp knife, make 3 to 4 deep slashes in the thighs and drumsticks on both sides. Add the chicken to the marinade, toss to coat and refrigerate overnight.
Light a grill. Remove the chicken from the marinade and scrape some of it off. Lightly brush the chicken with olive oil and season with salt. Grill over a medium-high fire, turning occasionally, until lightly charred and the juices run clear when the chicken is pierced with a knife, 25 to 30 minutes. Transfer to a platter and serve.