Chicken in Tarragon-Mustard Cream Sauce
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
F&W's Grace Parisi steals the flavors from a classic French pan sauce (mustard, tarragon, white wine and cream) for this quick chicken sauté.
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into 1/2-inch strips, or skinless, boneless breasts, cut into 1 1/2-inch chunks
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 pound white mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 1/4 cups chicken stock or low-sodium broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons grainy mustard
- 2 tablespoons chopped tarragon
- Buttered noodles, for serving
- In a very large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of the oil. Season the chicken with salt and pepper and add it to the skillet in a single layer. Cook over high heat, turning once, until browned but not cooked through, 4 to 5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the chicken to a plate. Pour off any fat in the skillet.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil to the skillet. Add the mushrooms and cook over high heat, stirring occasionally, until browned, 4 to 5 minutes. Add the shallot and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add the wine and cook until reduced to 2 tablespoons, about 4 minutes. Add the stock, cream and mustard and bring to a boil. Cook until the sauce has reduced by half, about 6 minutes.
- Return the chicken and any accumulated juices to the skillet and simmer over moderate heat until the chicken is cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes; season with salt and pepper. Stir in the tarragon. Serve with buttered noodles.
Balanced, elegant Chardonnay, such as one from Chablis.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.