- 8 skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 teaspoons five-spice powder
- 2 1/2 cups dry red wine
- 6 large scallions—white and light green parts cut into 2-inch lengths, dark green tops finely chopped
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 tablespoon finely grated fresh ginger
- 1 dried red chile
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
How to make this recipe
- In a large bowl, toss the chicken with the five-spice powder.
- In a large, nonreactive saucepan, combine the wine with the scallion pieces, soy sauce, brown sugar, garlic, ginger and chile and bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Reduce the heat to moderately low and add the chicken. Simmer until the chicken is just cooked, about 10 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the chicken and scallions to a plate.
- Boil the cooking liquid over high heat until it is reduced to about 1 cup and glossy, about 12 minutes. Return the chicken and scallions to the saucepan and stir to coat with the sauce. Transfer to a bowl. Garnish with the chopped scallion tops and sesame seeds and serve.
This chicken dish goes well with a rich, fruity Zinfandel.