- 12 cups chicken stock or low-sodium broth
- 1 pound honshimeji or cremini mushrooms—stems removed and reserved, caps thinly sliced
- One 2-inch piece of ginger, thinly sliced
- 2 large garlic cloves, crushed
- Kosher salt
- 6 skinless, boneless chicken thighs (about 1 3/4 pounds), trimmed and sliced into 1/4-inch strips
- One 14-ounce package firm tofu, drained and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- Asian sesame oil, for drizzling
How to make this recipe
- In a large soup pot, bring the stock, mushroom stems, ginger and garlic to a simmer. Cook over low heat for 30 minutes. Strain the stock into a large bowl and return it to the pot. Season the broth with salt.
- Bring the broth to a boil; add the chicken. Cook until the chicken is white throughout, about 4 minutes. Divide the mushroom caps, tofu and scallions among eight soup bowls and serve, passing the broth and sesame oil at the table.
The enriched broth can be refrigerated for up to 3 days.
Light-bodied, unoaked Chardonnay from Italy.