© Coral Von Zumwalt
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon sweet smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Two 3-pound chickens, backbones cut out
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon sweet smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- In a bowl, mix all of the ingredients except the chickens. Set the chickens breast sides up on a rimmed baking sheet. Flatten the birds, fold the wing tips under and arrange the thighs next to the breasts. Make 2 slashes in the breasts and 1 slash in the legs and thighs. Rub with the marinade, cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight. Bring to room temperature before grilling.
- In a bowl, combine all of the ingredients.
- Light a grill. Cover 2 bricks with foil. Grill the chickens breast sides down, pressed with the bricks, over moderate heat until browned, 15 minutes. Flip and grill over low heat until the juices run clear when a thigh is pierced, about 25 minutes longer. Transfer the chickens to a carving board to rest for 10 minutes. Carve and serve, passing the chimichurri at the table.
This spiced chicken goes well with a medium-bodied red like Sangiovese.