Chicken Goulash with Biscuit Dumplings
- TOTAL TIME: 45 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
Creamy chicken stew and biscuits baked together is the ideal meal in a pot. F&W’s Grace Parisi’s version is unforgettable: The gravy is boldly spiced, and the biscuits are unbelievably moist and tender thanks to chicken stock and sour cream in the batter.
- 2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into 2-inch pieces
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 5 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into tablespoons
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 1/2 cups chicken stock or low-sodium broth
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 large white onion, finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons hot Hungarian paprika
- 3/4 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1 teaspoon thyme leaves
- Preheat the oven to 425°. Season the chicken with salt and pepper and dust lightly with flour. In a deep ovenproof skillet, melt 1 tablespoon of the butter in the olive oil. Add the chicken and cook over high heat, turning once, until browned on both sides, 7 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the chicken to a plate.
- Meanwhile, in a food processor, pulse the 1 1/2 cups of flour with the baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper. Pulse in the remaining 4 tablespoons of butter until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Whisk 1/2 cup of the stock with 1/2 cup of the sour cream and drizzle over the dry ingredients; pulse until a dough forms.
- Add the onion, bell pepper and garlic to the skillet and cook over high heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, 3 minutes. Return the chicken to the skillet. Stir in the paprika and caraway and cook for 30 seconds. Add the remaining 2 cups of chicken stock and 1/2 cup of sour cream and stir until smooth. Add the thyme and bring to a boil.
- Scoop twelve 3-tablespoon-size mounds of biscuit dough over the chicken. Transfer the skillet to the oven and bake for about 20 minutes, until the sauce is bubbling and the biscuits are cooked. Turn on the broiler and broil for about 2 minutes, until the biscuits are golden. Serve the goulash in bowls, spooning the biscuits on top.
Berry-inflected, medium-bodied Cabernet Franc.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.