- 3 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1/3 cup Louisiana-style hot sauce, such as Crystal
- 1 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 pound chicken livers, trimmed
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 small chipotle in adobo, seeded and minced, plus 1 tablespoon adobo sauce
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- Canola oil, for frying
- Kosher salt
- In a large bowl, whisk 2 cups of the buttermilk with the hot sauce and soy sauce. Add the chicken livers and turn to coat. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- In a small bowl, whisk the mayonnaise, chipotle and adobo sauce; refrigerate.
- Set a rack over a baking sheet. Spread 1 1/2 cups of the flour in a shallow bowl. In another shallow bowl, beat the eggs with the remaining 1 1/2 cups of buttermilk. In a third shallow bowl, mix the remaining 1 1/2 cups of flour, the cayenne, black pepper, cumin and garlic salt.
- Remove the livers from the buttermilk, then dredge them in the plain flour. Dip the livers in the egg mixture, then dredge in the seasoned flour. Transfer to the rack.
- In a large saucepan, heat 2 inches of oil to 350°. Set another rack over a rimmed baking sheet. Add half of the livers to the hot oil and fry over moderately high heat, turning once, until barely pink inside, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer to the clean rack and season lightly with salt. Repeat with the remaining livers. Serve hot, with the chipotle mayonnaise.
Earthy chicken livers are superb with a Pinot Noir from Burgundy.