- 1/4 cup vegetable oil, divided
- 3 medium cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher or sea salt, plus more for seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon chile powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 1/2 pound tomatillos, peeled and sliced into small wedges
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, sliced in strips
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 large bell pepper, seeded and sliced
- Fresh cracked black pepper
- Flour or corn tortillas, for serving
- Shredded cheese and sour cream, for serving (optional)
- Chopped avocado, chopped cilantro and salsa or chopped tomatoes, for serving (optional)
How to make this recipe
In a small bowl, whisk together 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil with the garlic, salt, chile powder, ground cumin, paprika, sugar and fresh lime juice. Set aside.
Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the tomatillos to the dry pan and cook for 3 to 5 minutes on each side or until slightly charred all over. Remove from pan and set aside.
In the same pan, add the oil and then stir in the chicken. Cook for 2 minutes or until the chicken is lightly browned. Stir in the onion and bell pepper and cook with the chicken for 3 to 5 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
Stir in the spice mixture and cook for another 2 minutes or until everything is well combined and heated through. Fold in the cooked tomatillos. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve with tortillas and optional toppings.