- 2 corn tortillas
- Olive oil
- Sea salt
- 2 small chicken breasts (about 1 pound), butterflied
- 1 medium yellow onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 small yellow pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 small red pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Juice of 1 lime (about 3 tablespoons)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro leaves
- 1 bunch kale, stems removed and chopped
- 1 cup cooked black beans
How to make this recipe
Preheat the oven to 350°. Arrange the tortillas on a clean work surface and lightly brush with olive oil on both sides. Thinly slice the tortillas and arrange the strips on a parchment-lined baking sheet in an even layer. Season with salt and bake in the oven until crispy and beginning to curl, 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large heavy-bottomed skillet. Season the chicken generously with salt. Cook over high heat until nicely browned, 3 minutes per side. Remove the chicken to a cutting board to rest for 5 minutes, then thinly slice against the grain.
Add the onions and peppers to the pan and sauté over high heat, stirring occasionally, until lightly charred and beginning to soften, 3 minutes. Add the garlic and cumin to the pan and cook 1 minute more. Season with 1/2 teaspoon salt.
In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the lime juice, cilantro, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 2 tablespoons olive oil. With clean hands, fold in the kale and massage until well-coated in the lime mixture. Add the black beans and toss to combine.
Arrange the kale on a serving platter and top with the pepper mixture and sliced chicken. Garnish with the tortilla strips and serve immediately.