© Con Poulos
Chicken Drumsticks with Asian Barbecue Sauce
- ACTIVE: 20 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR
- SERVINGS: 8
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder
- 16 chicken drumsticks (3 pounds)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3/4 cup hoisin sauce
- 1/4 cup sweet Asian chile sauce or hot pepper jelly
- 1/4 cup unseasoned rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup chicken stock or broth
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 2 large garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 cup toasted sesame seeds
- Preheat the oven to 425°. In a large bowl, mix the vegetable oil with the five-spice powder. Add the chicken, season with salt and pepper and toss. Arrange the chicken on a foil-lined baking sheet. Roast for about 35 minutes, turning twice, until cooked.
- Meanwhile, in a blender, combine the hoisin sauce, chile sauce, rice vinegar, stock, ginger, garlic and sesame oil and puree until very smooth. Transfer to a saucepan and simmer until slightly thickened, 5 minutes.
- Transfer the chicken to a bowl and toss with the sauce, until completely coated.
- Preheat the broiler and position a rack 8 inches from the heat. Return the chicken to the baking sheet and broil for about 10 minutes, brushing with the sauce and turning occasionally, until glazed and sticky.
- Add the sesame seeds to a bowl. Dip the chicken in the seeds to coat; serve.
The chicken drumsticks go well with a ripe, spicy Malbec from Argentina.