© John Kernick
Chicken Curry with Squash
- ACTIVE: 30 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 50 MIN
- SERVINGS: 8
Many curries are fiery, but this one is gently spiced with turmeric, which alternative-health experts laud as a powerful anti-inflammatory.
More Easy Indian Recipes
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 2 hot chiles with seeds, minced
- 2 tablespoons Madras curry powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons turmeric
- 5 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 pound cauliflower, cut into florets
- 2 yellow squash, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 1/2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- Rice and lemon wedges, for serving
- In a large enameled cast-iron casserole, heat the oil until shimmering. Add the onion, garlic, ginger and chiles and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the curry powder and turmeric and cook for 2 minutes. Add the broth and coconut milk and season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the potatoes and cook over moderate heat until barely tender, 5 minutes. Add the cauliflower and squash, cover partially and cook over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender, 15 minutes.
- Add the chicken to the casserole, season with salt and pepper and cook just until white throughout, about 5 minutes. Serve over rice, with lemon wedges.
NotesOne Serving 306 cal, 12 gm fat, 3.9 gm sat fat, 23 gm carb, 4.6 gm fiber.
Fragrant curries pair well with aromatic Gewürztraminer.