Chicken Curry with Potatoes and Squash
- ACTIVE: 30 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR
- SERVINGS: 4
Keralan cuisine is based on the culinary traditions of the region's Christian, Hindu and Muslim communities, and each group puts its own imprint on each recipe. This mildly sweet chicken curry (Nadan Kozhi) is in the style of Syrian-Christian Keralans; cooks from other communities omit the potatoes and squash.
- 2 tablespoons ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon pure chile powder, such as pasilla
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 onions, halved and thinly sliced
- 8 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- One 1-inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
- 12 curry leaves
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- One 3 1/2-pound chicken, cut into 8 pieces, wing tips removed
- Kosher salt
- 1 large baking potato, peeled and cut into 1-inch dice
- 3/4 pound butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- One 14-ounce can unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 cup chicken stock or low-sodium broth
- In a small skillet, toast the coriander, chile powder and turmeric over moderate heat until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in the water to form a paste.
- In a very large, deep skillet, heat the vegetable oil. Add the onions, garlic, ginger and curry leaves and cook over moderately high heat, stirring occasionally, until the onions are translucent, about 5 minutes. Add in the spice paste, garam masala and black pepper and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until the oil separates from the paste, about 2 minutes.
- Lightly season the chicken pieces with salt. Add the chicken, diced potato and squash to the skillet and stir to coat with the seasonings. Stir in the coconut milk and chicken stock and bring to a simmer. Cover and cook over moderately low heat until the chicken is cooked through and the potato and squash are tender, about 25 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the chicken pieces to a bowl. Season the curry sauce with salt, pour it over the chicken and serve.
Chenin Blanc has lots of tropical flavors and a soft acidic edgequalities that complement this mild curry. As South Africa's workhorse grape, Chenin Blanc is gaining international attention for clean, food-friendly wines.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.