- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 2 hot chiles with seeds, minced
- 2 tablespoons Madras curry powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons turmeric
- 5 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 pound cauliflower, cut into florets
- 2 yellow squash, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 1/2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- Rice and lemon wedges, for serving
How to make this recipe
In a large enameled cast-iron casserole, heat the oil until shimmering. Add the onion, garlic, ginger and chiles and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the curry powder and turmeric and cook for 2 minutes. Add the broth and coconut milk and season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the potatoes and cook over moderate heat until barely tender, 5 minutes. Add the cauliflower and squash, cover partially and cook over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender, 15 minutes.
Add the chicken to the casserole, season with salt and pepper and cook just until white throughout, about 5 minutes. Serve over rice, with lemon wedges.
One Serving 306 cal, 12 gm fat, 3.9 gm sat fat, 23 gm carb, 4.6 gm fiber.
Fragrant curries pair well with aromatic Gewürztraminer.