- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups minced roasted chicken
- 1/2 cup finely chopped Serrano ham or prosciutto (2 ounces)
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour, plus more for dredging
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup fine, dry bread crumbs
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Lemon wedges, for serving
How to make this recipe
- In a large skillet, melt the butter in the olive oil. Add the chicken, ham, nutmeg and a large pinch each of salt and pepper. Cook over moderate heat, stirring, for 3 minutes. Stir in 1/4 cup of the flour, then gradually whisk in 3/4 cup of the milk. Simmer for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Scrape the croquette mixture into a bowl; let cool. Cover and refrigerate until chilled, at least 1 hour.
- Divide the croquette mixture into 16 equal portions. Using wet hands, roll the portions into oval croquettes.
- Preheat the oven to 325°. In a shallow bowl, beat the eggs with the remaining 2 tablespoons of milk. Spread the bread crumbs and some flour in 2 more shallow bowls. Dredge each croquette first in the flour, then dip in the egg; coat the croquettes with bread crumbs and transfer to a platter.
- In a small saucepan, heat 1/2 inch of vegetable oil until shimmering. Fry 4 croquettes at a time, turning twice, until golden brown, about 3 minutes. Transfer the croquettes to a wire rack set over a baking sheet and keep warm in the oven while frying the rest. Serve immediately, with lemon wedges.
The croquette recipe can be prepared through Step 2 and refrigerated for up to 2 days.
The delicate chicken here suggests a rich but not too assertive Rioja white.