Chicken Chorba with Walnuts
- ACTIVE: 20 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR
- SERVINGS: 4
The Good News The chicken in this saffron-and-ginger-scented chorba (the North African name for soup) is an excellent source of protein, while the walnuts are packed with antioxidants and omega-3 fatty acids, superheroes for the heart.
Fast and Easy Chicken Recipes
- 1/3 cup walnut halves
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Eight 3-ounce, skinless bone-in chicken thighs, trimmed of excess fat
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh ginger
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- Small pinch of saffron threads
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Spread the walnuts in a pie plate and toast in the oven for 8 minutes, until fragrant. Let cool.
- In a large, deep skillet, heat the olive oil until shimmering. Season the chicken thighs with salt and pepper and cook over moderately high heat, turning once, until lightly browned on both sides, about 8 minutes total. Transfer the chicken to a plate. Add the onion, garlic and ginger to the skillet and cook over moderate heat until tender, about 6 minutes. Stir in the broth, scraping up the browned bits from the bottom of the skillet. Add the cumin and saffron.
- Return the chicken with any juices to the skillet and bring to a simmer. Cover and cook over low heat until the chicken is tender and cooked through, about 30 minutes. Transfer the chicken to shallow bowls. Season the broth with salt and pepper and spoon it over the chicken. Sprinkle with the walnuts and cilantro and serve.