- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into thin strips
- 4 teaspoons pure chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 3 cups chicken stock or canned low-sodium broth
- 1 1/2 cups canned chopped tomatoes with their juice
- 2 jalapeño peppers, seeds and ribs removed, chopped
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- One 15-ounce can pinto or red beans, drained and rinsed
- One 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
- Lime wedges and hot sauce, for serving
- In a large nonreactive saucepan, heat the oil. Add the onion and garlic and cook over moderately low heat until barely tender. Add the chicken and cook over moderate heat until it is no longer pink, about 3 minutes. Stir in the chili powder, cumin and oregano. Add the stock, tomatoes with their juice and jalapeños. Season with salt and pepper. Cover, bring to a boil and simmer over low heat for 15 minutes.
- Stir in the beans and simmer, uncovered, over moderately low heat until the chili is thickened, about 15 minutes longer. Serve with the cilantro and pass lime wedges and hot sauce on the side.
Pair with a tart California Sangiovese or Italian Dolcetto.