- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken thighs, trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped rosemary
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- One 28-ounce can peeled Italian tomatoes, pureed
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Crusty bread, for serving
- In a large, deep skillet, heat the olive oil until shimmering. Season the chicken with salt and pepper, add it to the skillet and cook over high heat until browned, about 8 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a plate.
- Add the onion, garlic, mushrooms and rosemary to the skillet. Season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened and lightly browned in spots, about 5 minutes. Stir in the tomato paste. Add the pureed tomatoes and 1/4 cup of water. Add the chicken and any juices and bring to a boil.
- Cover partially and simmer over moderately low heat until the chicken is cooked through and the sauce is thickened, about 15 minutes. Stir in the balsamic vinegar and serve with crusty bread.
Earthy, spiced Chianti.