Chicken Breasts with Red Wine and Mustard Sauce
- ACTIVE: 20 MIN
- TOTAL TIME:
- SERVINGS: 4
- 2 unpeeled medium Vidalia onions, halved
- 1 pound small red potatoes
- 1 bottle (750 ml) dry red wine
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 bay leaves
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup grainy mustard
- 2 tablespoons unsulfured molasses
- Four 6-ounce skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- Preheat the oven to 325°. On half of a heavy-duty 2-by-1 1/2-foot sheet of foil, mound the onions and potatoes. Add 1/4 cup of the wine, the olive oil and bay leaves and season with salt and pepper. Fold the foil over the vegetables; seal the edges. Transfer to a rimmed baking sheet and bake for about 1 hour and 20 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender. Peel and slice the onions.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, simmer the remaining 3 cups of wine with the mustard and molasses over moderately low heat, stirring, until reduced to 1/2 cup, about 35 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Put in a steamer basket, cover and steam over moderate heat for 8 minutes.
- Reheat the sauce. Spoon the vegetables onto plates, discarding the bay leaves. Set the chicken breasts alongside and spoon the sauce over them. Sprinkle with the parsley and serve.
NotesOne Serving 443 calories, 10.4 gm total fat, 1.6 gm saturated fat, 34 gm carb.