- 1 tablespoon plus 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1/3 cup lightly packed cilantro leaves, plus 8 sprigs (optional) for garnish
- 1/3 cup lightly packed flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 7 tablespoons olive oil
- Grated zest of half an orange
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- Fresh-ground black pepper
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 1 1/3 pounds in all)
- 2 plum tomatoes, diced (optional)
How to make this recipe
- In a small frying pan, toast the 1 tablespoon paprika with the cumin over low heat, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Put in a blender and puree with the garlic, cilantro leaves, parsley, 6 tablespoons of the oil, the orange zest, lemon juice, cayenne, 1/2 teaspoon of the salt, and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Leave in the blender.
- Put 1 tablespoon oil in a nonstick frying pan over moderate heat. Season the chicken with 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon paprika, and 1/8 teaspoon black pepper. Brown 5 minutes. Turn; cook until just done, 4 to 5 minutes longer. Blend the sauce to re-emulsify; serve over the chicken. Sprinkle with the tomatoes and top with the cilantro sprigs.
A white with a bit of sweetness, like an Oregon Pinot Gris, will play off the spicy sauce nicely.
Photo © Melanie Acevedo Published February 2013