Chicken Breasts with Anchovy-Basil Pan Sauce
- TOTAL TIME: 40 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
- 4 boneless, skin-on chicken breast halves
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 medium shallots, thinly sliced
- 4 large anchovy fillets, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup slivered basil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon cold unsalted butter
- Preheat the oven to 400°. Season the chicken breasts with salt and black pepper. In a large ovenproof skillet, heat the olive oil. Add the chicken breasts, skin side down, and cook over moderately high heat until they are richly browned, about 3 minutes. Turn the chicken breasts and transfer the skillet to the oven. Roast for about 10 minutes, until just cooked through. Transfer the chicken to warmed plates.
- Set the skillet over moderately high heat and add the shallots; cook until softened, about 3 minutes. Stir in the minced anchovies and crushed red pepper. Add the white wine and boil for 1 minute, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Add 1/3 cup of water and boil until the liquid is reduced to 3 table- spoons, about 1 minute. Remove the skillet from the heat and stir in the basil and lemon juice. Swirl in the butter and season the pan sauce with salt and pepper.
- Pour the anchovy-basil pan sauce over the roasted chicken breasts, spooning the shallots all around, and serve right away.
F&W's Marcia Kiesel created this basil-flecked chicken recipe as a partner for Soave, the lightly herbal white wine of Italy's Veneto region. Five top Soaves to seek are Suavia, Pieropan, Pra, Inama and Tedeschi.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.