- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- One 4-pound chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 6 medium garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon tomato sauce
- About 1 2/3 cups chicken stock or canned low-sodium broth
- 16 plump dried black Mission figs or pitted prunes
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh flat parsley
How to make this recipe
- Preheat the oven to 425°. In a large ovenproof skillet, heat the oil. Season the chicken pieces with salt and pepper. Add them to the skillet skin side down and cook over moderately high heat, turning once, until browned, about 12 minutes, transfer to a plate.
- Discard all but 2 tablespoons of fat from the skillet. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring, until barely soft, about 3 minutes. Stir in the tomato paste and 1 1/2 cups of the stock. Return the thighs and drumsticks to the skillet, add the figs and bring to a boil. Transfer the skillet to the oven and braise, uncovered, for 20 minutes. Return the breasts and wings to the skillet and braise for 15 minutes longer. Transfer the chicken to a platter, cover and keep warm.
- If the sauce seems too thick, stir in about 1/3 cup more stock over moderate heat. Swirl in the butter until blended and add the parsley. Season with salt and pepper. Spoon the sauce and the figs over the chicken and serve.
Serve with steamed couscous.
Pair with a complex, floral Italian Arneis.