- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon saffron threads
- 1/4 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon herbes de Provence
- Freshly ground pepper
- 4 large skinless chicken thighs (about 2 pounds total)
- One 14-ounce can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 3 medium Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 4 pieces each
- 1 kielbasa (about 10 ounces), cut into 1/3-inch-thick rounds
- 2 tablespoons chopped tarragon
- 2 large garlic cloves, smashed
- 1/4 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- MAKE THE BOUILLABAISSE In an enameled cast-iron casserole or Dutch oven, combine the olive oil with the onion, celery, carrot, garlic, lemon zest, saffron, fennel seeds and herbes de Provence; season with salt and pepper. Add the chicken, toss to coat and let stand at room temperature for 15 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, wine, potatoes and 3/4 cup of water to the casserole. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Cover partially and simmer over low heat until the potatoes are half-cooked, 25 minutes. Add the kielbasa and simmer until the chicken is cooked through and the potatoes are tender, 10 minutes longer. Stir in the tarragon; keep warm.
- MAKE THE ROUILLE Transfer 2 potato chunks to a food processor along with 1/4 cup of the cooking liquid from the stew. Add the garlic, paprika and cayenne and pulse to combine. Add the mayonnaise and puree. With the machine on, add the olive oil in a thin stream and process until smooth and creamy. Season the rouille with salt.
- Serve the bouillabaisse in shallow bowls and spoon the rouille on top.
Strawberry-inflected Provençal rosé.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.