Chicken, Black Bean and Guajillo Picadillo Nachos
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR
- SERVINGS: 10 to 12
These nachos layer smoky spiced chicken and black beans with onions, cheddar cheese, jalapeño and herbs.
- 5 dried guajillo chile peppers, cut into 1-inch-thick rings
- Boiling water
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups finely chopped onion
- 5 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 cup finely chopped tomatoes
- One 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup chopped green olives
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 limes—1 halved, 1 cut into wedges
- One 6-ounce bag thick-cut tortilla chips
- 6 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 jalapeño, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced radishes
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro
- Sour cream, for serving
- In a medium bowl, cover the guajillos with boiling water. Let stand until softened, about 10 minutes. Drain, reserving 3/4 cup of the soaking liquid. In a food processor, puree the guajillos with their soaking liquid until smooth.
- Preheat the oven to 350°. In a large skillet, heat the oil. Add 1 1/2 cups of the onion and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until lightly golden, 4 to 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the guajillo puree, cumin and cinnamon and cook for 3 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the chicken and cook, breaking up the meat with a wooden spoon, until no trace of pink remains, about 5 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes, black beans, olives, raisins, vinegar, sugar and broth. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until the picadillo is thickened, 8 to 10 minutes. Season with salt, pepper and juice squeezed from the 2 lime halves.
- Place a single layer of tortilla chips on an ovenproof platter. Top with half of the picadillo, 1/4 cup of the chopped onions, half of the cheese and another layer of chips. Top with the remaining picadillo and cheese. Bake the nachos for about 10 minutes, until the cheese is melted. Top with the remaining 1/4 cup of onion and the jalapeño, radishes and cilantro. Serve with sour cream and lime wedges on the side.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.