- 1 cup basmati rice
- 1 1/2 cups water
- One 6-ounce chicken breast
- 1 1/8 teaspoons sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 4 large garlic cloves, finely minced
- One 2-inch piece of ginger, peeled and very finely minced
- 1/2 cup diced tomatoes (fresh, if in season, or canned)
- 4 green cardamom pods
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/4 cup chopped dried apricots
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds
- 2 tablespoons plain Greek yogurt
How to make this recipe
Preheat the oven to 350°. In a small pot, combine the basmati rice and water and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to the lowest setting, and cook, covered, for 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and let it sit, covered, for 10 minutes.
Season the chicken breast with the 1/8 teaspoon of the salt and the fresh cracked pepper. In a small nonstick frying pan, heat the extra virgin olive oil over medium high heat. Add the chicken and cook for 1 minute. Turn the chicken, cover the pan, reduce the heat to the lowest setting and cook for 8 minutes. Remove from the heat and let it sit, covered, for 10 minutes, then shred the chicken using 2 forks.
In a large frying pan, heat the 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil over medium high heat. Add the onion and cook until it is softened and lightly browned, about 7 to 8 minutes. Add the garlic and ginger and cook for 1 minute.
Add the tomatoes, cardamom pods, coriander, cumin, cinnamon, garam masala and the remaining 1 teaspoon of the sea salt and cook for 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in shredded chicken, dried apricots, sliced almonds and Greek yogurt.
Spread half the rice in the bottom of an ovenproof dish. Next, layer in half of the vegetables, the rest of the rice and top with the remaining vegetables.
Cook, uncovered, in the preheated oven for 30 minutes.