Chicken, Bacon and Tomato Salad
- SERVINGS: 4
This salad was inspired by one of Jan Newberry's all-time favorite sandwiches. Chicken tenders, small breast meat "tenderloins," are widely available at supermarkets. If you can't find them, cut 1 pound of skinless, boneless chicken breasts into 2-inch-wide strips.
- 4 bacon strips, coarsely chopped
- 1 pound chicken tenders
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 pint small cherry tomatoes, halved
- 6 scallions, white and tender green, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 large bunch of watercress, large stems discarded
- Heat a large skillet. Add the bacon and cook over high heat until crisp, about 4 minutes; transfer to a plate. Season the chicken tenders with salt and pepper, add to the skillet and turn to coat with bacon fat. Cook, turning once or twice, until the tenders are brown on the outside and white throughout, about 5 minutes. Add to the bacon.
- Add the tomatoes, scallions and vinegar to the skillet and boil for 1 1/2 minutes. Return the chicken and bacon to the pan, stir well and season with salt and pepper. Arrange the watercress on 4 plates, top with the chicken salad and serve.
A round, ripe Chardonnay.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.