- 1/2 pound gigante or white lima beans
- 6 chicken drumsticks
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 medium leeks, washed and chopped
- 4 carrots, cut into rounds
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups water
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat leaf parsley
How to make this recipe
In a large bowl, soak the beans overnight with water to cover by 3 inches.
Season the chicken with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. In a 5-to 6-quart crock pot, heat the oil over high heat until hot. Sear the chicken, turning, until browned, 6 to 8 minutes total.
Stir the leeks and carrots into the crock pot, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the leeks are softened, about 4 minutes. Stir in the stock, water, bay leaves, reserved beans, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Simmer the stew on low, covered, until the meat and beans are very tender, about 5 hours. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve, sprinkled with the parsley.