- 1 Hass avocado, chopped
- 2 tablespoons plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1/2 small red onion, minced
- 1 small jalapeño, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground pepper
- 3 cups thickly shredded rotisserie chicken ( 3/4 pound)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded fresh mozzarella
- 2 tablespoons grated Cotija or pecorino cheese
- 4 Portuguese or Kaiser rolls, toasted
- 1/4 cup sliced pickled jalapeños
- 1/2 cup jarred tomatillo salsa
- 2 cups shredded iceberg lettuce
- In a bowl, mash the avocado with a fork. Stir in the yogurt, lime juice, onion, jalapeño, cumin and 1 tablespoon of olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Add the chicken in an even layer and cook over moderately high heat until crisp on the bottom, about 3 minutes. Scatter the mozzarella and Cotija cheeses over the chicken, cover the skillet and remove from the heat. Let stand until the mozzarella is melted.
- Split the rolls and spread the mashed avocado on the bottom halves. Top with the chicken mixture, then add the pickled jalapeños, tomatillo salsa and lettuce. Close the tortas and serve right away.
Crisp pilsner: Left Hand Polestar.
Contributed By Photo Published July 2012