Chicken and Quinoa "Fried Rice"
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN plus 3 hr chilling
- SERVINGS: 4
Instead of using white rice, make this Asian-inspired fried rice healthier by using quinoa and chicken breast.
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 2 cups water
- Pinch of kosher or sea salt
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 inch knob fresh ginger, minced (about 1 tablespoon)
- 1/2 medium red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1/2 pound boneless, skinless chicken, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame seed oil
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- Fresh cracked black pepper, to taste
- Combine the quinoa, water and salt in a medium saucepan. Bring the water to a boil, and after the water begins to boil, reduce the heat to low and cover the pan.
- Gently simmer, covered, for 15 minutes (there may still be some water not yet absorbed). Remove from heat.
- Remove the lid and gently fluff the quinoa. Set aside to cool. After it has cooled to room temperature, cover and refrigerate at least 3 hours or until chilled (the quinoa can be cooked and refrigerated the day before).
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the oil, and then stir in the onions and carrots and cook for 2 minutes or until the onions are soft. Add the garlic and ginger and cook for 2 minutes, or until the garlic is fragrant.
- Stir in the bell peppers and chicken, increase the heat to high, and cook for about 5 minutes, or until the chicken is browned and cooked through. Stir in the egg and fish sauce. Cook for 1 minute or until the egg is set.
- Stir in the cooked quinoa and cook for 1 minute or until heated through. Season with black pepper and serve.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.