Chicken and Leek Yakitori
- ACTIVE: 30 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR
- SERVINGS: 4
Leeks make a delicious substitute here for the traditional scallions.
- 1/3 cup sake
- 1/4 cup mirin
- 3 tablespoons yellow miso paste
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons finely grated fresh ginger
- 2 pounds boneless chicken thighs—skinned, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 small green bell pepper, cut into 3/4-inch squares
- 1 leek, white part only, halved lengthwise and cut crosswise into 3/4-inch pieces
- In a small saucepan, combine the sake, mirin, miso, soy sauce, sugar and ginger. Simmer the sauce over moderately low heat until it is thick and shiny, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, thread the chicken, bell pepper and leek onto twelve 8-inch wooden skewers, alternating the ingredients and beginning and ending with chicken. Set the skewers on a foil-lined rimmed baking sheet.
- Preheat the broiler and set a rack 4 inches from the heat. Cover the exposed ends of the skewers with foil and brush the skewers on both sides with the sauce. Broil the skewers for 4 to 5 minutes on each side, basting when you turn them, until the chicken is cooked through and browned at the edges. Serve the chicken yakitori hot or at room temperature.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.