- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 scallions, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- One 2-inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and cut into matchsticks
- One 3-inch piece of lemongrass
- 2 tablespoons store-bought red curry paste
- 1 medium eggplant, cut into 1-inch cubes
- One 13 1/2-ounce can coconut milk, well shaken
- 8 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breasts, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced basil leaves
- Steamed white rice, for serving
- Lime wedges, for serving
How to make this recipe
Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet over moderate heat. Add the scallions, garlic, ginger and lemongrass and sauté, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes. Add the curry paste and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute.
Add the eggplant, season with 1/2 teaspoon salt, and stir gently until evenly coated with the curry paste. Cook until the eggplant begins to soften, about 5 minutes.
Add the chicken broth and coconut milk and bring to a simmer. Simmer until the eggplant is tender, about 10 minutes. Add the chicken and continue simmering, stirring occasionally, until cooked through, 6 to 8 minutes.
Stir in the fish sauce, lime juice and basil. Taste and adjust the seasonings. Serve the curry over steamed white rice, with lime wedges on the side.