Chicken and Citrus Slaw Tostadas
- TOTAL TIME: 45 MIN
- SERVINGS: 6
Tofu fills in for mayonnaise in this dressing, offering creaminess without fat.
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- Six 6-inch corn tortillas
- 3 ounces firm tofu, cut into 1-inch dice (1/2 cup)
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 canned chipotle chile in adobo
- 1 teaspoon finely grated orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated lime zest
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 small green cabbage, finely shredded (3 cups)
- 1/4 small red cabbage, finely shredded (1 1/2 cups)
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 large carrot, coarsely grated
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro
- 3 1/2 cups shredded roast chicken (from 1 medium roast chicken, skin removed)
- Lime wedges, for serving
- In a small skillet, heat 1/4 cup of oil over moderate heat. Add 1 tortilla and fry until golden and crisp, turning once, about 2 minutes. Transfer the tostada to paper towels to drain. Repeat with the remaining tortillas.
- In a food processor or blender, combine the tofu with the lime juice, honey, mustard and chipotle and process until smooth. Add the remaining 1/4 cup of oil in a thin stream and process until creamy. Transfer to a bowl. Stir in the orange and lime zests and season the dressing with salt and pepper.
- In a large bowl, toss the cabbages, onion, carrot and cilantro; season with salt and pepper. Add all but 3 tablespoons of the dressing and toss. Set the tostadas on plates and mound the slaw on top. Add the chicken to the bowl, toss with the reserved 3 tablespoons of dressing and mound on the slaw. Garnish with lime wedges and serve.
A citrusy Riesling will complement this salad. Try one from New Zealand or Australia.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.