Chicken and Bulgur Salad with Corn
- SERVINGS: 4
Bulgur makes a hearty base for a salad. Here, it's tossed with corn kernels, tomato, red onion, and a bit of hot pepper, dressed with lime vinaigrette, and then topped with slices of sautéed chicken breast for an ideal summer meal.
- 2/3 cup bulgur
- 2/3 cup boiling water
- 4 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cups fresh (cut from about 6 ears) or frozen corn kernels
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1 1/3 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 4)
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper
- 1 tomato, seeded and chopped
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeds and ribs removed, minced
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro (optional)
- 4 tablespoons lime juice (from about 2 limes)
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- In a medium bowl, combine the bulgur and the water. Cover and let sit for 20 minutes.
- In a large nonstick frying pan, heat 1 1/2 tablespoons of the oil over moderate heat. Add the corn and 1/4 teaspoon of the salt and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Add the onion and continue cooking for 5 minutes longer, stirring occasionally. Transfer to a large glass or stainless-steel bowl and let cool.
- Add 1 tablespoon of the oil to the frying pan and heat over moderate heat. Season the chicken with 1/4 teaspoon of the salt and the black pepper. Cook the breasts until browned and just done, about 5 minutes per side. Remove the chicken from the pan and let it rest for 5 minutes. Cut crosswise into 1/4-inch slices.
- Add the bulgur, tomato, jalapeño, cilantro, 3 tablespoons of the lime juice, the cayenne, and 3/4 teaspoon of the salt to the bowl with the corn and onion. Toss.
- In a small glass or stainless-steel bowl, combine the remaining 1 tablespoon lime juice, 2 tablespoons oil, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Mound the salad onto plates. Top with the chicken and drizzle the chicken with the lime oil.
German Rieslings show their great adaptability by flattering notoriously difficult-to-match salads. The earthy flavors of a young Pfalz Spätlese will match those of the sweet corn and chicken.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.