Chicken and Bulgur Salad with Avocado
- ACTIVE: 25 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 45 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
Alfred Portale makes a spectacular avocado terrine that he serves alongside sliced chicken and a bulgur wheat salad. Here we tossed chunks of avocado with chicken and bulgur to create a less dramatic but equally delicious salad.
Amazing Chicken Recipes
- 1 cup bulgur
- 1 cup boiling water
- Two 6-ounce boneless chicken breasts, with skin
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon grapeseed oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/2 cup chopped basil leaves
- 5 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 large scallions, thinly sliced
- 2 Hass avocados, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 medium fennel bulb (3/4 pound), cored and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- Preheat the oven to 500°. In a heatproof bowl, cover the bulgur with the boiling water. Cover the bowl with a plate and let stand until the water has been absorbed and the bulgur is tender, about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, on a rimmed baking sheet, coat the chicken breasts with 1 tablespoon of the grapeseed oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast the chicken on the top shelf for 15 minutes, or until golden brown and just cooked through; let cool. Slice the breasts on the diagonal about 1/4 inch thick.
- In a small bowl, whisk the orange juice with the basil, lemon juice, scallions and the remaining 1/4 cup of grapeseed oil; season the vinaigrette with salt and pepper.
- In a large bowl, toss the bulgur, chicken, avocados, fennel and tomatoes with the vinaigrette; season with salt and pepper. Mound the salad onto plates and serve.
A ripe, oaky Australian Chardonnay will blend the sweet, tangy and assertive flavors in this salad.