- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 1/2 pound shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and thinly sliced
- 1 large carrot, cut into 1/3-inch chunks
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 1/4 cups plus 1 tablespoon self-rising flour
- 2 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- Freshly ground pepper
- 3 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- 1/2 cup frozen baby peas
- 1 tablespoon chopped sage
- 1 tablespoon chopped thyme
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons whole milk
How to make this recipe
- Preheat the oven to 425°. In a large Dutch oven or enameled cast-iron casserole, melt 2 tablespoons of the butter. Add the shallots, mushrooms and carrot chunks and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until the shallots and mushrooms are softened, about 8 minutes. Add the wine and cook until completely evaporated, about 1 minute. Stir in the 1 tablespoon of flour and the broth and bring to a boil. Season with salt and pepper. Simmer until thick, about 3 minutes. Stir in the chicken and peas.
- In a food processor, combine the remaining 1 1/4 cups of flour with the remaining 4 tablespoons of butter and the chopped sage and thyme; pulse 5 times. Add the milk; pulse just until a soft dough forms.
- Using a small ice cream scoop or a tablespoon, scoop 20 balls of dough over the chicken stew. Bake in the center of the oven for 25 minutes. Turn on the broiler and broil for 1 to 2 minutes, until the biscuits are golden. Let rest for 5 minutes before serving.
Fragrant, full-bodied California white.