- TOTAL TIME: 40 MIN
- SERVINGS: 6
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 small green bell pepper, diced
- 2 celery ribs, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 andouille sausage (about 3 ounces), cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- Steamed rice and hot sauce, for serving
- In a large, deep skillet, heat the oil until shimmering. Whisk in the flour and cook over moderately high heat, whisking constantly, until lightly browned, about 2 minutes. Add the onion, bell pepper, celery and garlic. Season the vegetables with salt and black pepper and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until softened, about 6 minutes. Add the sausage and tomato paste and cook for 2 minutes. Add the broth and simmer until thickened, 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in the chicken and simmer until cooked through, 5 minutes. Season with salt and black pepper and serve over rice, with hot sauce.
Pinot Noir is a terrific partner for light, spicy stews like this one.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.