- 1/3 cup whole almonds
- 12 dried apricots (3 ounces)
- Boiling water
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Four 6-ounce skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons finely grated fresh ginger
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups chicken stock or low-sodium broth
- 2 tablespoons plain low-fat yogurt
- 2 scallions, sliced on the diagonal
How to make this recipe
In a mini food processor, grind the almonds to a powder. In a small heatproof bowl, soak the apricots in boiling water until plump, 20 minutes; drain.
Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large nonstick skillet. Add the chicken breasts, season with salt and pepper and cook over moderately high heat until browned, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a large plate.
Add the ginger, garlic, onion and the remaining 1/2 tablespoon of oil to the skillet and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 10 minutes. Add the curry powder and cayenne and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 3 minutes. Add the ground almonds and chicken stock and bring to a simmer. Return the chicken breasts to the skillet and add the apricots. Simmer over low heat until the chicken is cooked through, about 5 minutes.
Transfer the chicken to a platter. Boil the sauce over moderate heat until thickened, about 8 minutes. Stir in the yogurt and season with salt and pepper. Pour the sauce over the chicken, scatter the scallions on top and serve.
One Serving 393 calories, 13.9 gm total fat, 1.5 gm saturated fat, 21 gm carb.