- 1 tablespoon pure olive oil
- 1/4 cup minced onion
- 1 tablespoon minced poblano plus 1/2 poblano chile, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon minced red bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 pound ground chicken
- 1/4 cup cooked rice
- 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons minced cilantro, plus leaves for garnish
- 2 canned chipotle chiles in adobo, seeded and minced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 cups chicken stock or canned low-sodium broth
- 1/2 cup corn kernels
- 1/2 cup finely diced seeded plum tomato
- Lime wedges, for serving
- Tortilla chips, for serving
How to make this recipe
- Heat the olive oil in a medium skillet. Add the onion, minced poblano, red bell pepper and garlic and cook over moderate heat until softened, about 4 minutes. Add 1/2 teaspoon of the cumin and the coriander and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Scrape the mixture into a medium bowl and let cool.
- Add the chicken to the bowl, along with the rice, egg white, minced cilantro, chipotles, 3/4 teaspoon of salt and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper. Mix with your hands until thoroughly combined. Roll tablespoons of the meat into balls and set on a large plate.
- In a large saucepan, combine the chicken stock with the corn, tomato, sliced poblano and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon of cumin and bring to a simmer. Season with salt and pepper and cook over moderate heat until the vegetables soften, about 5 minutes. Add the meatballs and cook over low heat until firm and cooked through, about 5 minutes. Ladle the soup into large shallow bowls and garnish with the cilantro leaves. Serve with the lime wedges and tortilla chips.