- 1 cup sprouted spelt flour
- 1 cup vegan cane sugar, divided
- 2 tablespoons ground flax meal
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup melted refined coconut oil
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Flaky sea salt, for sprinkling
How to make this recipe
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the spelt flour, 3/4 cup sugar, flax meal, baking soda, 1 tablespoon of the cinnamon and salt. Add the melted coconut oil, applesauce and vanilla to the bowl and mix until smooth. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 325°. Position racks in the upper and lower thirds of the oven and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a shallow bowl, whisk together the remaining 1/4 cup sugar and 1 tablespoon of cinnamon until evenly incorporated. Set aside.
- Working in batches, scoop the dough by the tablespoon and roll into balls. Drop the balls into the cinnamon sugar mixture and roll each to coat. Place the sugared dough balls onto the prepared baking sheets, about 3 inches apart. Gently press each cookie with a fork to help them spread and then sprinkle the tops with flaky sea salt.
- Bake for 12 minutes, rotating the baking sheets halfway through, until the cookies are crispy and crinkly around the edges and soft and chewy in the centers. Let stand on the baking sheets for 2 minutes before transferring them to wire racks to cool completely.
Cookies will keep for up to 3 days covered in an airtight container.