- 1 1/4 cups pecans (5 ounces)
- 1/3 cup unsweetened Dutch process cocoa powder, sifted
- 2 large egg whites, at room temperature
- Pinch of salt
- 1 3/4 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper. In a food processor, pulse the pecans until finely ground. In a small bowl, combine the pecans and cocoa.
- In a large mixer, beat the egg whites at high speed until foamy. Add the salt and beat until stiff. Lower the speed to medium and add the confectioners; sugar 1/2 cup at a time. Scrape down the bowl with a large rubber spatula, and beat at high speed for 30 seconds longer. Using the spatula, fold in the nut mixture.
- Spoon the batter onto the prepared cookie sheets in 1/2-tablespoon mounds. Bake for 10 minutes, or until the tops crack slightly (the cookies may appear a little moist). Slide the parchment paper onto a rack and let the cookies cool completely. Remove the cookies from the paper and serve.
The macaroons will keep in an airtight container for up to 1 week; or freeze for up to 1 month.