- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 1/4 cups finely grated Cheshire or aged cheddar cheese
- 2 teaspoons chopped sage, plus more for garnish
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more for garnish
- Rendered beef fat or unsalted butter, for greasing
How to make this recipe
In a blender, combine the milk, flour, eggs and salt and puree until smooth. Transfer to a medium bowl and stir in 1 cup of the cheese, the 2 teaspoons of sage and 1/2 teaspoon of pepper. Refrigerate the batter for 30 minutes.
Preheat the oven to 425°. Set a popover or muffin pan on a baking sheet. Spoon 1 teaspoon of fat into each of 8 popover cups or 12 muffin cups and heat in the oven for about 10 minutes. Spoon the batter into the cups, filling them three-fourths full, and bake for about 25 minutes, until puffed and golden. Sprinkle the puddings with the remaining 1/4 cup of cheese and bake for about 3 minutes, until the cheese melts. Garnish with sage and pepper and serve immediately.