- 12 cherrystone clams, scrubbed
- 1/3 cup minced red onion
- 5 tablespoons fresh lime juice, plus lime wedges, for serving
- 2 jalapeños, seeded and minced
- 1 medium tomato, seeded and cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- Freshly ground pepper
- Cilantro sprigs, for serving
How to make this recipe
- Shuck the clams over a medium bowl. Scrape and clean 20 of the best half shells and refrigerate.
- Cut the clams into 1/2 -inch pieces and place them in a clean bowl. Strain 1/4 cup of the clam liquor over the clams. Add the onion, lime juice, jalapeños, tomato and cilantro and season with pepper. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or for up to 2 hours.
- Nestle the clam half shells on a bed of finely crushed ice. Spoon the clam seviche and any clam liquor into the cleaned shells. Garnish with cilantro sprigs and serve with lime wedges.
A bright white with lots of fruit and no apparent oak will tame the kick of the jalapeños and the tang of lime in this seviche. Try a Pinot Grigio from Italy or, for a more elegant first course, a Graves from France.