- 1 1/2 pounds dark cherries, pitted
- 1 1/2 cups dried sour cherries (about 8 ounces)
- 1/2 cup Kriek lambic beer
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 vanilla bean, split and seeds scraped
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly, plus more for
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup almonds, coarsely chopped (about 1 ounce)
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon finely grated orange zest
- Pinch of nutmeg
- Pinch of ground cardamom
In a bowl, mix the pitted and dried cherries, beer, honey, vanilla and a pinch each of salt and pepper. Let stand for 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 375°. Butter six 8-ounce ramekins and set them on a rimmed baking sheet.
In a medium bowl, combine the sugar, flour, almonds, brown sugar, cinnamon, orange zest, nutmeg and cardamom. Stir in the melted butter. Press the topping into clumps.
Spoon the cherry filling into the ramekins and sprinkle with the topping. Bake for about 30 minutes, until browned and bubbling. Serve the crisps warm or at room temperature.