- 1 cup granulated sugar, plus more for dusting
- 5 large eggs
- 1/2 vanilla bean, split and seeds scraped
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons almond flour or almond meal
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 12 ounces sweet cherries, pitted
- Confectioners’ sugar, for dusting
- Sweetened whipped cream, for serving
How to make this recipe
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Butter a 10-inch round gratin dish and dust it with granulated sugar. In a large bowl, whisk the 1 cup of granulated sugar with the eggs and vanilla seeds. Whisk in the all-purpose flour, almond flour and salt until just incorporated. Add the milk and cream and whisk until light and very smooth, about 3 minutes. Pour the batter into the prepared gratin dish and arrange the cherries on top.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, until the clafoutis is set and golden. Let cool. Dust with confectioners’ sugar, cut into wedges and serve with whipped cream.
The clafoutis can be wrapped and refrigerated overnight. Serve at room temperature.
Sweet sparkling red wine: 2011 Tenimenti Ca’Bianca Brachetto d’Acqui.