- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 4 tablespoons solid vegetable shortening
- 2 tablespoons rendered bacon fat
- 3/4 cup milk
- 3/4 cup grated Monterey Jack cheese
How to make this recipe
- In a bowl, mix the flour with the baking powder, salt and baking soda. Using a pastry blender, cut in the shortening and bacon fat until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Add the milk and stir lightly to combine. Let the dough rest for 20 minutes at room temperature or in the refrigerator. Gently knead in the cheese.
- Preheat the oven to 450°. On a lightly floured surface, gently roll out the dough 1/2 inch thick. Using a 2-inch round biscuit cutter, cut out 16 biscuits; re-form any scraps into another biscuits. Place the biscuits on a lightly greased baking sheet and bake for about 10 minutes, or until golden brown. Serve at once.