- TOTAL TIME: 10 MIN
- SERVINGS: 6
Traditional grits are made with ground corn, but Jean-Georges Vongerichten creates his with semolina flour, produced from durum wheat; the coarse grain has a lovely pale yellow color and mild flavor. These creamy, cheesy grits go well with everything from poached eggs to beef short ribs.
- 1 1/2 quarts chicken stock or low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/4 cups semolina
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup shredded extra-sharp cheddar cheese (3 ounces)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground fennel
- Freshly grated nutmeg
- In a large saucepan, bring the chicken stock to a boil. Whisk in the semolina and a large pinch of salt and simmer, whisking, until thick, about 4 minutes. Stir in the butter and cheddar until melted. Add the fennel and season with salt and nutmeg. Serve right away.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.