© Tina Rupp
Cheddar-Polenta Biscuits with Ham Salad
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: makes 8 sandwiches
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup instant polenta
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese, packed
- 1 cup milk
- 2 scallions, white and light green parts, chopped
- 1 small celery rib, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and quartered
- 1/2 pound sliced smoked ham, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Preheat the oven to 425°. Lightly grease a large baking sheet. In a bowl, combine the flour, polenta, baking powder, sugar and 1/2 teaspoon each of salt and pepper. Using 2 table knives, cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Add the cheddar, then stir in the milk until the dough is moistened.
- Using 2 large soup spoons, scoop 8 mounds onto the baking sheet. Lightly press down on each mound. Bake the biscuits for about 19 minutes, until the tops are golden and the bottoms are browned. Transfer to a wire rack to cool slightly.
- In a mini food processor, pulse the scallions, celery and jalapeño until finely chopped. Add the ham; pulse just until finely chopped. Pulse in the mayonnaise and mustard; season lightly with salt and pepper. Slice the biscuits; fill with the salad; serve.
NotesIf you don't have time to make the biscuits, the ham salad is terrific served on pita chips or crostini cut from a baguette.