- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon each of baking soda and sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- 2 tablespoons Spanish green olives, pitted and chopped
- 1 1/4 packed cups farmstead cheddar cheese, shredded
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat the oven to 400°. Line three 12-cup mini-muffin tins with paper or foil liners. Alternatively, lightly butter and flour the cups, tapping out any excess flour.
- In a small bowl, whisk the buttermilk with the egg. In a medium bowl, whisk the flour with the cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, sugar and salt. Whisk in the chives and olives and 3/4 cup of the shredded cheddar. Add the buttermilk mixture and the melted butter; stir just until moistened. Spoon the batter into the prepared tins and sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 cup of cheese. Bake the muffins for about 16 minutes, or until golden. Let cool in the tins for 10 minutes before serving.
Juicy, ripe Petite Sirah.