Cheddar-Chive Corn Muffins
- ACTIVE: 10 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 12 muffins
These warm cheddar-studded breakfast muffins are only slightly sweet, since they’re meant to be spread with a sweet-spicy cream cheese.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup stone-ground cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 ounces extra-sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (1 1/4 cups)
- 1/4 cup chopped chives
- 1 cup milk
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup canola oil, plus more for brushing
- 2 jalapeños
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup hot pepper jelly
- Preheat the oven to 400° and spray a 12-cup muffin tin with baking spray. In a medium bowl, whisk the flour and cornmeal with the baking powder, sugar and salt. Lightly stir in 1 cup of the cheddar cheese and the chives.
- In a small bowl, whisk the milk with the egg and the 1/4 cup of canola oil. Fold the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients just until evenly moistened. Spoon the batter into the muffin cups. Sprinkle the tops with the remaining 1/4 cup of cheddar cheese. Bake for 22 to 25 minutes, until the muffins are springy and golden. Let the muffins cool for 5 minutes, then turn them out onto a rack to cool.
- Meanwhile, brush the jalapeños lightly with oil and roast directly over a gas flame or under the broiler, turning, until lightly charred, about 5 minutes. Transfer the chiles to a bowl, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate to cool slightly, about 5 minutes.
- Peel, seed and finely chop the jalapeños. Mix them with the cream cheese and pepper jelly. Serve the muffins with the pepper jelly cream cheese.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.