- 16 thin bread-and-butter pickle slices, patted dry
- Four 4-inch potato buns, buttered and toasted
- 1 1/4 pounds ground beef chuck (30 percent fat)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 small onions, sliced paper thin
- 4 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, sliced
- Umami dust, for sprinkling (optional, see Note)
How to make this recipe
- Heat a cast-iron griddle until very hot. Layer the pickle slices on the bottom buns.
- Without overworking the meat, loosely form it into 4 balls and place them on the griddle. Cook the meatballs over moderately high heat for 30 seconds. Using a sturdy large spatula, flatten each ball into a 5-inch round patty. Season the patties with salt and pepper and cook for 2 minutes, until well seared. Press a handful of sliced onions onto each patty. Using the spatula, carefully flip each burger so the onions are on the bottom. Top with the cheese and cook for 2 minutes. Cover with a roasting pan and cook just until the cheese is melted, 1 minute more. Transfer the burgers with the onions to the buns and sprinkle with umami dust. Top with the buns and serve.
Umami Dust Use a spice grinder to pulse 3 tablespoons bonito flakes, 1/2 ounce crumbled dried kombu, and 1/2 ounce dried shitake mushrooms into a powder. Keep in a sealed jar at room temperature for up to 2 months. Makes 2 1/2 ounces.
Beer Hoppy pale ale: Dale's Pale Ale.
Wine Juicy, peppery California Zinfandel.